Family History isn't just searching through records and lists in libraries or on the internet. Sometimes other things have clues about the history of a family. Photographs are the obvious thing but there are other items too. I was lucky enough to be given a box of papers, photos and books belonging to my grandparents and their families. I also had a few things that I had been given by my grandma.
Amongst the treasures that came from my grandma were some old postcards.
I don't know the age of the first one, it was a birthday postcard, but has not been written on.
This next one was sent by my great uncle and his wife in 1907. This great uncle was killed in 1917 in France. I also have a copy of the newspaper cutting reporting him missing in action and a funeral ribbon. His widow and children emigrated to Canada in the 1920s.This one was also from Blackpool in 1907, but is a different style of card. I am still trying to find out who the card came from - it was sent to my great aunt - grandad's sister, who I have vague memories of from when I was small.
This postcard was sent to my great aunt & her husband by his parents. It is signed "Father & Mother" and then gives their full names - & although I had read this card a few times I hadn't realised that I had seen the name of the father before - on the 1851 census when he was living with his grandparents - my 3xgreat grandparents. I was then able to go back and look at that family and find out where he fitted in.
And finally - this card was sent by my grandad. The message on the back says "I hope you like the card as we cannot get anything better"





No comments:
Post a Comment